Six Moon Designs was founded in 2002 to provide ultralight gear at affordable prices. Originally designed for backpacking journeys, their shelters fit the specific needs of backcountry bike travelers perfectly. They are lightweight, efficient, highly packable and incredibly comfortable without breaking the bank.
The Lunar Solo is a roomy single-person tent designed with plenty of space for you, your gear and even a 4-legged friend! Despite the minimalist, lightweight design (just 25 oz!) you aren't sacrificing comfort, space, durability or weather resistance compared to heavier shelter options. This single-wall shelter blends the light weight of a standalone tarp with the comfort of a full-featured tent. The solo bike traveler will be hard pressed to find a lighter, more comfortable shelter at any price.
The canopy and bathtub floor are sewn from 100% silicone-coated polyester (20D canopy, 40D floor) to reduce pack volume and fabric stretch compared to silicone-coated nylon. The hexagonal design with steep, sloping sides helps deflect high winds and shed precipitation, keeping you safe from the elements while offering plenty of headroom. The floating floor is suspended from the canopy and ringed with no-see-um mesh on all sides, providing ample ventilation and protection from buggy conditions. The Lunar Solo offers 26 square feet of living space and a peak height of 49 inches so you are able to sit up and move around.
One of our favorite features of the Six Moon shelters is their adaptability. Clear skies and mild temperatures? Open those double doors and enjoy the stargazing! Storm rolling in? Pitch tight to the ground and zip up that vestibule for complete protection from foul weather.
Setting up the Lunar Solo is very simple and can be carried out in less than two minutes with just a little practice. However, it can be a little counterintuitive for folks who are used to shelters that rely on a tensioned floor like most double-wall tents. Remember that you're flying a tarp, not pitching a tent. Here are the key steps:
- Extend the guy lines at each of the five non-door corners to their longest and stake loosely. No portion of the shelter should be under tension. This allows room for the canopy to rise off the ground.
- Insert the central pole and stake out the pole guy line for desired vestibule configuration: farther from the pole for more ventilation, closer for windy or wet conditions.
- Reposition/tension all six stake points as needed for a tight canopy.
A note on assembly from Six Moon "The Lunar Solo, with its single pole and raised canopy, creates an incredibly light and airy shelter. Unlike other tents with fixed points of setup, the floating canopy and floor design does take a little more patience to master. Still, the Lunar Solo’s weight savings make it well worth the effort." Link to the setup PDF from Six Moons is in the product photos. Stakes and Poles are sold separately, giving you a couple options. If you carry a trekking pole, you are able to use that as the single pole needed to setup the Lunar Solo. *Pole height needs to 49" or 124cm. Otherwise we sell Six Moon carbon poles and aluminum poles. It also requires 6 stakes, also sold here.
*It is important to note that these tents are not seam-sealed at the factory. More info below.
- Full Vestibule provides protection while still maintaining good ventilation when closed. Fully open, the vestibule maximizes ventilation and view.
- High Vent prevents excess moisture build up.
- Zipper Vestibule Closure makes opening and closing the vestibule a snap.
- Easy Tensioning Adjustment makes keeping the tent taut easy to accomplish from the warmth of your sleeping bag. (Re-tension straps have been added to all tie out points.)
- Floating Canopy allows the canopy to be set to different heights.
- Floating Floor reduces floor stress and helps to minimize punctures from sharp objects.
- Optimized Sleeping Area is oriented to maximize usable space, ventilation, and view. A peak height of 49 inches gives you plenty of headroom.
- Center Pole Support significantly improves the ability of the tent to handle wind and snow loads.
- Internal Gear Area keeps your gear easily accessible.
- Oversized Screen Door allows easy entrance and exit while keeping the support pole out of your way.
- Ultralight Waterproof Canopy is made from high strength 20 denier Silicone Polyester.
- Handy Mesh Interior Cargo Pocket to keep all your essentials close at hand.
- Extremely Easy Setup in less than two minutes under any conditions.
These tents do not come seam sealed, though we highly recommend either doing it yourself or having it done in shop. We carry Silicone Tent Sealant here in the shop and there is also the option of making your own sealant with mineral oil. Detailed instructions on this process can be found here. We will be offering an in-store sealing option. Contact us for more info!