Bike Touring News is a big proponent of Leave No Trace principles for bike travel. Other than Plan Ahead and Prepare, we think that Dispose of Waste Properly might just be the most important principle for bike travelers to observe. Anyone who has come upon a campsite to find piles of human waste, toilet paper and the like probably feels the same way. As more and more bike riders venture into the backcountry, the more important it becomes for each of us to be a responsible steward of our wild and scenic places.
Anyone who has dug a cathole with inadequate tools (rocks, sticks, tent stakes, trekking poles, discarded plastic cutlery, etc.) has probably not dug a proper 6-8" hole. Either that or they didn't bother to dig a hole at all for lack of tools. That isn't going to cut it, my friends! Enter the Deuce. The Deuce is here to make your outdoor waste disposal easy and fun without adding weight or taking space on your camping rig.
The Deuce (formerly known as the Deuce of Spades) is an ultralight, highly functional trowel for digging holes in the outdoors. Made from 7075-T6 aluminum in your choice of anodized colors, the Deuce is as tough and durable as it is pleasing to the eye. Designed by Mike Cecot-Scherer and made in Colorado, these trowels are just the right thickness to balance light weight, cutting power and hand-held comfort. You can also turn the trowel "backward" and dig with the handle end for 4x the edge pressure in hard ground. Mike's summary take on the Deuce:
The Deuce® is my contribution to the backcountry poop situation: it's a sweet little piece of ultralight gear. THE coolest, THE most designy, and THE most effective potty trowel in the world — one that you can be proud to whip out in mixed company — so carrying and using it will be easy, fast and even a little fun.
Overall, the Deuce makes it easier and more fun to poop responsibly in the backcountry, so we're pretty happy about that. That is pretty good on its own, but Bike Touring News will donate $1 to the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics for every Deuce we sell. Buy one for you and one for a friend to help keep the outdoors clean for all of us.
NOTE: Some of the product photos used to represent various colors show Deuces made by DAC in Korea. All of the Deuces currently stocked by Bike Touring News are made in Colorado, USA. No dig (get it?) against DAC (makers of excellent tent poles and we carry their stakes) or Korea, just a vote-with-our-dollars for a Colorado-made product!
Features + Specifications:
• An excellent aid to Leave No Trace camping – it really helps you doo-doo the right thing
• Can be used handle up or handle DOWN to QUADRUPLE the edge pressure for hard ground!
• Weighs just under .6 ounces, 17 grams, the weight of 3 1/3 teaspoons of water
• Digs down and carves unusually well because of its thinness
• Large scoop makes mockery of tent stakes or trekking poles for digging
• Cuts right through small roots
• Elegant, minimalist design
• Made of aerospace grade 7075-T6 aluminum (100% US BTW)
• Lifetime Warranty
• Good sand stake but even better for burying other things as sand anchors
• NOT DORKY
• A great gift - bet they haven't got this yet
• Eco-friendly – it's designed to need no packaging
• Nice colors: Orange, Rose, Light Green, Gold, Black, Blue and Forest Green
• Makes a very good boot or shoe horn
• 100% recyclable
• Made in the USA
• You can open a bottle of beer with it
• You can fly with it in your carry-on
• At least one woman has used it as a standing-pee device!