What does E.C.R. stand for? Einstein Can't Rap? Everyone Can Ride? Exta Cushy Ride? Escape City Rapidly? Noboby seems to know for sure. What the Surly 29+ platform means is big tires (almost 31" inflated diameter) that roll over chatter bumps, gravel, boulder fields and tree roots without sacrificing rolling efficiency or comfort. The traction provided by the 3 inch wide tires means that traction will almost never be a limiting factor to where this bike can be ridden. Extra braze on points for racks and cages and a little lower center of gravity than the Krampus means the bike is ready for bikepackiing and camping too.
The ECR is Surly’s ultimate off-road touring machine. It has been re-designed specifically for 27.5+ or 29+ wheel platforms, and has been updated to include Surly’s Gnot-Boost rear hub spacing; compatible with Boost 148 x 12mm thru-axle, 142 x 12mm thru-axle and 135mm quick-release hubs. XS and S are now 27.5 wheel platform, medium offers both sizes, large and Xlarge are 29 only.
- Surly 4130 CroMoly steel, main triangle double-butted frame
- TIG-welded, horizontal-slotted dropout with derailleur hanger, Surly Gnot-Boost spacing
- Rohloff torque arm slot and threaded eyelets for fenders, racks and Surly trailer mounts
- Full-length Surly Trip Guide housing line guides for derailleurs and brakes; two sets of Three Pack bosses
- Frame is ED Coated for increased life expectancy
- Tire clearance for 29 x 3" with fenders
For a complete list of fun components and vast knowledge go to the Surly ECR page
Like all Surly bikes and frames, call or come visit as we don't ship.